A Blog Based On The Life Of Your Not So Average Teenager.

Hello people of the interwebs its Steven back again with yet another blog post. This post is going to be 100% aimed at magicians so apologies in advance to my non magician readers.

Today's trick is from a book that doesn't only have great tricks but also equally as good essays.    

Today's trick is from a book called "One Degree" by John Guastaferro and it can be found on page 6. The name of today's trick is "either or"


I want to start off by saying that I am a huge fan of not only Johns magic but his thinking and theory behind magic. I was lucky enough to meet and hang out with John at a recent magic convention and this was great to pick his brains about magic and theory. 


The trick was really easy to learn and I had it down in less than 5 minuets. 

I performed this trick as taught in the book for a friend who has saw me do a fair amount of magic and this got a poor reaction. The reason was that I know a lot about her and the trick is aimed at learning a bit more about your spectators. However I performed this again for a group of about 6 girls who hadn't seen me do any magic before and it got a really good reaction. 

I should say here that the second time I performed this I used a David Williamson move/idea to do what was needed. However the trick in the book isn't about how you do the effect it's about the main presentation and that's what I think makes this a great trick. You can do the exact same presentation as taught in the book using more than one method. 

The second time I performed this I used it as an opener and I think it worked great here as I got to know my audience a lot more. I think the information I obtained I could have used later on in a mind reading routine. 

Will it stay in my act? Yes, I will keep this in my act but I won't do the handling taught in the book (on occasion I might). I will however do David Williamson handling and use Johns presentation. 

Well guys that's it from. I will be back tomorrow with day 5 of learning and performing a skipped over trick. Until then see you tomorrow. 

0 Responses so far.

Post a Comment